Thursday, October 29, 2020

Great Northern at The State Theatre

 Lately, I've been playing with a Grateful Dead themed band called Great Northern Out of DC (for the uninitiated, the name is a reference to a Dead lyric). I never thought that 41 years after I saw my first Dead show and 25 years after Jerry Garcia died that I would be back playing this music. But there's still a community of people very supportive of this music, and it's fun to be a part of it. I subbed with this band after their previous keyboard player left and <arrogance> needless to say</arrogance> they asked me to join the band as their new keyboard player - and I said yes. 

I've done a few shows with them, and we've got one more on the books before the weather turns too cold to play outdoors (we're not comfortable playing indoor gigs due to the pandemic). The State Theatre in Falls Church was particularly fun - it was a very pleasant autumn evening, and the venue is top-notch. They provide PA and also do this very cool thing with projections on the side of the buildings surrounding their parking lot (where we performed). The projections are provided by Light Works Planet Earth.

Here are a couple of pictures and a video:






No comments:

Grateful Dead seder

What do the Grateful Dead and the Jewish ritual of a Passover seder have in common? Nothing. Except maybe that Dead shows and Passover seder...