Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Cold Start to the Biking Season

My recent visit to the Adirondacks somewhat reset my definition of "cold". For some reason I've really been hibernating this winter, always figuring it was too cold to do anything outside. But, I figure, if I can go out and have fun cross-country skiing with temps in the single digits, certainly I can get on my bike and ride with temps in the 50's, right?

Well, the high was forecast to be in the 50's. I set out in the morning when it was still in the high 30's. The temperature was slow to rise, never actually reaching the forecast high, and the day was grey. No problem - I was well bundled up and, with the exception of my feet, stayed warm. My bike apparently likes the cold even less than I do. The front derailleur was balky, hesitating to shift up due to a sticky cable. I used it as little as possible, shifting mostly through the rear gears.

I rode about 25 miles, heading west from the W&OD parking lot at Rt. 28. My original goal had been 30 miles but based on my freezing feet, the way my body was feeling, and my malfunctioning shifter I decided to cut it short. Good thing. At about the 20 mile point the outsides of my knees started to hurt and by the time I finished my ride I was in some significant pain. I'm not sure if this is an IT band issue or something else. I have had this problem at time from running, though never this severe, and never on both knees. I've had this happen before on the bike too. Maybe I'm pushing my distance too hard too soon. I creaked through the last miles at about 10 MPH, seriously contemplating getting off and walking. But I made it. Back at the car I warmed up with some tea from my Thermos, then headed to the nearby Wegman's to restock my coffee K-cup supply. While there I warmed up further with some lunch: spicy tuna rolls (fake crab maki topped with choped tuna bits, topped with three spicy sauces) and a hot cup of coffee. Rejuvenated, I toddled home, considering the ride a success despite the discomfort. I do need to figure this knee problem out - I don't want it to quash my nascent bike riding focus.

No comments:

Grateful Dead seder

What do the Grateful Dead and the Jewish ritual of a Passover seder have in common? Nothing. Except maybe that Dead shows and Passover seder...