Friday, December 28, 2007

Last Pirates Paddle of the Year


The Pirates of Georgetown is a kayaking group that paddles out of Jack's boathouse in Georgetown every Thursday evening. It's been my kayaking home for years now - in fact, I'm the only member who has been around since the founding season. The group officially shuts down for the winter around Halloween (as does Jack's), but there are a few of us who continue to go out on the cold dark nights of winter. I haven't been very motivated about doing it this year - too many other conflicts, plus I've been a wimp about the cold. This week, though, the paddle was moved to mid-afternoon, as those of the regulars who were in town were available to start earlier (it's Christmas week and a lot of people have off).

So, six of us - Tom, Dave, Cyndi, Caroline, Brian and I - headed upriver from Jack's. It was a beautiful afternoon, not too cold, no wind. The river was empty; the water was like glass. We saw kingfishers and we saw deer.

Up near Chain Bridge there was some current. I was paddling a new boat for the first time and since I wasn't completely familiar with its characteristics I decided not to risk the currents. I pulled over into an eddy just below the bridge, as did Caroline. The rest of the group went up a little further, with some going as far as the falls. It was a quick trip back down with the current pushing us along. Then, dinner at a vegetarian Indian place in G'town. A very nice way to spend the afternoon.

No comments:

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...