Sunday, June 14, 2015

33.1 Miles, most by bike

This weekend on Saturday Valerie & I did our monthly 5K event, this time in Annandale.

At the end of the 5K - a hot, sticky one!

Sunday I rode from Swain's Lock to Edward's Landing on the C&O Canal tow path. 30 miles round trip - my longest ride since I started back riding. I kept the gears nice and low on the ride out to preserve my knees (plus did plenty of stretching before starting). On the way back I picked up the pace a little bit but still was a slowpoke by most standards. Riding on a flat, gravel trail means little coasting. The good news is that 30 miles of pretty much non-stop pedaling and no knee problems! My butt is a little sore from 30 bumpy miles, but that's to be expected.

In our area you can throw a dart at the map and it's almost certain to hit somewhere with Great Civil War Significance. Edward's Landing is where Gen. Hooker's 75,000 men crossed the river on the way to fight at Gettysburg.

This guy crossed the trail in front of me
River scene - heron and turtles
Selfie at Lock 24

No comments:

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...