Sunday, March 23, 2014

March of the Kayakers

I was getting a little worried about March. I try to paddle at least once per month year-round. This year, despite the unusually cold and snowy winter, I managed to get out there in November, December, January and February. March was somehow slipping away, though. Unusual - March is usually when kayaking picks up steam. Well, I corrected that today.

I met Tall Tom and Suzanne at the Brown's Bridge put-in on Rocky Gorge Reservoir, a spot chosen based on being equally inconvenient for all of us. By pure chance Tom merged onto I66 in Virginia just as I was passing by and so without having meant to the two of us wound up caravaning there.

After a taste of 70-ish degree weather on Saturday, the slightly raw low 40's temperatures of Sunday felt mighty cold. That's the other reason (besides location) I chose Rocky Gorge - it's pretty well protected from the wind. Unfortunately, the reservoirs make for pretty uneventful paddling so I have not much to report: we did see a bald eagle and an osprey - the bird life is returning. Plus, this was the test trip for the new Greenland paddle I recently completed. It felt pretty nice. I'll have to keep testing it and eventually roll with it, but so far so good.

The GPS took me home a different route than I had used on the way up there. Perhaps the most surprising part of the whole day was discovering the diversity of churches along upper New Hampshire Avenue: Ukranian Catholic, Ukranian Orthodox, Seventh Day Adventist, Catholic, a variety of iglesias, Lutheran, Muslim, Christ Fellowship, some Asian religion (no sign), Baptist, Cambodian Buddhist, and more. Who knew there was this kind of religious diversity in Colesville, Maryland?

No comments:

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...