Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Leesburg to Purcellville

 I'm doing my best to use my involuntary furlough days to do some fun things. Today I biked the W&OD trail from Leesburg to Purcellville, about 25 miles round trip. This westernmost segment of the W&OD offers a range of scenery: horse farms, preposterous McMansions, and a long, tree-lined ride through the country (with just a hint of fall colors). And bountiful porta-potties!

The ride out went by pretty quickly. Almost before I knew it I found myself at the western terminus of the trail. I had planned to do some geocaching along the way (there are a number of caches along this segment of the trail) but once I got going I really didn't feel like stopping.

The W&OD Trail in Loudon County

I spent some time wandering the antique shops of Purcellville, checking out a couple of nice Eastlake chairs including a pedestal rocker similar to my living room chairs (which were a find at a country auction in New York years ago). After a cup of coffee and a granola bar I started the ride back to Leesburg.

Boy, I'm really not a cyclist - least of all a road biker. Cycling is a quadriceps exercise and my quads are wimps. About half way back my legs were feeling a little rubbery and my illiotibial band was aching a little. A quick stretching break helped, as did the fact that from that point onward I was into the long downhill ride into Leesburg.

Stretching Out Near a Horse Farm


Back in Leesburg I strolled through the historic heart of the 1758 town. I stopped and had lunch - surprisingly, a vegan plate at a Jamaican restaurant (not something I would have expected in Leesburg!) - and browsed a couple more antique shops. Finally, I stopped into what had been The Coffee Bean. Unfortunately the place has changed hands and they no longer roast coffee on the premises. The 1930's coffee roaster and its accompanying rich coffee smells are gone from the front room. I bought some coffee beans anyway - roasted locally in Winchester. We'll see how they hold up against the old stuff.

No comments:

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...