Sunday, May 13, 2012

Saturday Afternoon

I decided to take care of gardening chores first today and so didn't make it to the river until 2 PM. A beautiful spring day but it reminded me of why I like the mornings - in the afternoon the marina is a madhouse of boat traffic. Got knocked about pretty well by a powerboat which throttled up to max as soon as he got past the No Wake buoy.

I ran into Kurt and Chuck H as I pulled into the marina. Chuck has a masterful homemade rig which enables him to carry a kayak on a Miata. A beautiful, functional piece of woodworking - you might say it even enhances the appearance of the car.

As I made my way upriver I spotted someone loading a sea kayak onto a car in the Roosevelt Island parking lot. It was David L, who was later than usual as well because of torah study and a make-up yoga class.

Oh, and it was Turtle Day on the Potomac. The combination of chilly water and warm sun prompted every turtle in the river to climb up onto a log to get some sun. The turtles were everywhere.

I sighted an interesting couple in rented kayaks up near Jack's: he, with a black Mohawk & ponytail and a full sleeve of tattoos. She, with a spiky, bright pink 'doo. I guess even punks like to paddle sometimes.

No comments:

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...