Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Moving the Docks, Feb 2008


Here are a few pictures from moving the docks back upriver to Jack's boathouse this past weekend. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it down in time to ferry the docks back up, so I timed my arrival for when I thought they'd make it up to Georgetown. When I got there the parking lot was full but the place was deserted. It was a sunny afternoon so I took out my book and started, to paraphrase Otis Redding, Sittin' with the docks on the way, wastin' time. Within a few minutes I could see the dock flotilla start to peek out from around Roosevelt Island. Soon thereafter Frank Day alighted from a launch onto the small winter dock - a further harbinger of the docks' imminent arrival. Once the group got close we all got busy cleating, then uncleating, then swinging, then securing the docks into place.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

~Michellay~ said...

This seems like a very time consuming project with a dash of patience. Hard work? Anyone fall into the water? Is the project finished and is everyone happy to complete the task?

Jesse said...

Wow, a comment on my blog. I forgot I had even made it public.

Yes, the docks got moved successfully, as they do every year. Jack's has been in business since the 1940's - they know their stuff.

A Tale of Four Jess's

 Jesse is not all that common a name, and so unlike the Toms, Davids, and Bobs of the world I don't run into much name confusion. So it ...